Update on Southern Baptist Response in Nepal
Baptist Global Response (BGR) is the group that coordinates Southern Baptist disaster relief efforts internationally.
- BGR has elected to focus on two primary impact areas, choosing 2-3 villages per district for short- and long-term relief, recovery, and development. State convention's DR offices are being asked to adopt an area or project.
- Almost $700,000 in donations have been received by BGR toward Nepal earthquake relief efforts. About half of that amount has already been assigned to planned projects, with a few projects to include helping other groups besides Nepalese (Tibetans, etc.).
- An example of a project: helping a community with temporary shelter for their school that was destroyed. BGR will provide about 25 temporary classrooms for 500 students.
- Some initial numbers:
- Bags of rice distributed - 2,275
- Tarps distributed - 435
- Hygiene kits distributed - 50
- Shelter provided - 50
- Tin roofing sheets distributed - 450
- Kitchen sets distributed - 50
Donations are being accepted for Nepal - click here to donate.
Recovery Efforts Underway in Midwestern US
Disaster Relief teams from Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are assisting with clean-up from the recent tornadoes in those states. In addition, Colorado and Texas DR have flood-recovery units active in areas of their states. At this time, these states have not requested assistance from DR groups in other states. Pray for those affected by tornadoes, wind, and floods.
Ministry Opportunities: Construction & Rebuild
There are numerous opportunities available for construction/repair teams from churches to assist different ministries with their physical facilities. These would make great projects for mission trips! Any church group can participate - do not have to be Disaster Relief teams. Some are in South Carolina; others are further afield:
- Interior Painting - Edisto Island, SC Retreat House
- Building Renovation - Center of Hope recovery ministry, Chester, SC
- Building Repairs - South Jersey churches (also need VBS prayer-walking, etc.)
- Various Construction Needs - Aurora, Ohio area churches (decking, fencing, interior finishing, etc.)
- On-going upkeep & improvements at South Carolina Baptist camps: Camp McCall, Camp LaVida, & White Oak Conference Center
For more details on these projects, click HERE.
Disaster Relief Units in South Carolina
The following are the types of Disaster Relief teams and equipment in our state (click on each for a brief description) :
- Children's Response
- C.O.P.E. (Christian Outreach to People Evacuated)
- Incident Command
- International (Baptist Global Response)
- Mass Feeding
- Water Purification
Disaster Relief Office
The Disaster Relief Office strives to train leaders, develop new teams, and lead in Christian discipleship and evangelism in the area of Disaster Relief as SC Baptists bring help, healing, and hope during local, state, national, and international disasters.
Randy Creamer, Director
Sue Harmon, Operations Manager