International Teacher Welcome Basket List for Columbia Metro Churches
Fill a 1.5 bushel rectangular laundry basket with the following items:
- 4 rolls of wrapped toilet paper
- 2 rolls of wrapped paper towels
- (2) 1.5 oz liquid hand soap
- (1) 8 oz or more dishwashing liquid
- (1) 32 oz general purpose cleaner
- (1) 50 oz or more liquid laundry detergent
- 1 manual can opener
- 2 kitchen towels
- 2 dish towels
- 2 wash cloths
- 2 bath towels
- 2 plates
- 1 box of plastic disposable utensils
Drop off baskets and items by Monday, July 17 from 9am – noon at Spring Valley Baptist Church (91 Polo Road, Columbia).
International Teacher Facts:
- Richland One and Two employed more than 250 international teachers last year.
- There will be at least 100 new international teachers hired to teach in the fall.
- Teachers come with two suitcases and limited funds.
- They face transportation and housing challenges as well as culture shock in a new country.
- Welcome baskets are a great source of help and encouragement as these teachers arrive in South Carolina.
- Your gifts help our churches connect with teachers and begin to develop relationships with them during their time in Columbia.
Notes from International Teachers:
“We were truly grateful when we received those welcome baskets. You don’t expect them, but they are definitely needed. Some teachers come to the U.S with their kids and leave all their stuff behind, so everything in these baskets is useful. Also, adding those cards with positive messages makes you feel welcomed and it shows the support the district is giving you from the beginning.”
“It was a thoughtful way of saying ‘We’ve got you covered.’ Everything in the basket is what every new teacher, especially international teachers, coming from afar, would love and really needed. The baskets are an excellent starter kit – enough to help us transition as we begin our teaching journey here in the US.”