Disaster Relief Sunday is June 4, 2023
The first Sunday in June is designated on the Southern Baptist Convention calendar as Disaster Relief Sunday. It is a day to highlight Disaster Relief (DR) ministries and to recognize and show appreciation to the Disaster Relief volunteers in your church.
Suggestions to consider for your church’s DR Sunday:
- Have Disaster Relief volunteers wear their DR shirts and ID badges to church.
- Show photos of the volunteers on DR deployments during your pre-service visual presentation.
- Invite a DR volunteer to share a story in a worship service of how they saw God working as they served on a deployment.
- Ask DR volunteers to stand in place or come to the front for a special prayer over them.
- Utilize the resources provided HERE for DR Sunday (bulletin inserts, videos, prayer guide).
- Set up a display table with information about Disaster Relief and have DR volunteers nearby to answer questions.
- Churches without DR volunteers could invite a DR leader from within their association to give a brief overview of Disaster Relief ministries and how your church could support or get involved.
DR Sunday gives the opportunity to increase awareness of this important ministry and to give encouragement to those who give their time and effort to serve the Lord by serving those in crisis. “DR volunteers are missionaries who share the love of Jesus as well as hope and help during times of disaster.” – Jackie Ridings, DR volunteer, Edgefield Baptist Association