The Cooperative Program started in 1925 as Southern Baptists recognized the need for a system that enabled Southern Baptist churches to combine their resources to provide support for missionaries and ministries. Each church decides what portion (percentage) is sent to the State Baptist Convention, who then sends a portion to the Southern Baptist Convention. This supports work in our state, country, and around the world. This system replaced institutions and agencies continually making their financial needs known and requesting extra offerings.
In South Carolina 59% of each CP dollar is used to support missions and ministry in our state, while 41% is sent to the Southern Baptist Convention to be used to support missions and ministries in our country and around the world.