Turkey’s disaster agency has appealed for help from the international community as it conducts search and rescue operations in the wake of the catastrophic earthquake in Turkey and Syria. Send Relief, Southern Baptists’ compassion ministry organization, is coordinating a response and has deployed initial assessment teams. Send Relief has released funds to those teams for emergency relief supplies such as blankets, and is working with partner personnel who were already stationed in the area.
Per State Department travel advisories that have long been in place due to the ongoing conflict between ethnic groups in that region, U.S. volunteers cannot be deployed to Turkey or Syria. Send Relief asks that Southern Baptists unite in prayer for the thousands affected by the earthquake. Currently, the best way to help is by praying and giving.
- Pray for local search and rescue teams as they continue rescuing trapped survivors.
- Pray for the displaced residents needing shelter during the cold of winter in Turkey and Syria.
- Pray for those grieving the loss of loved ones in the disaster.
- Pray for those devasted by loss of homes, possessions, and property.
- Pray for those in northern Syria who have already been living in the crisis of ongoing violence and conflict and are now impacted by natural disaster that only compounds the suffering.
- Pray for medical professionals and community leaders as they seek to meet needs in very trying circumstances.
- Pray for believers in the affected areas as they seek to minister in the crisis.
- Pray for Send Relief and responding partners as they seek to bring help and hope to those affected.
- Ask that the Lord will use this catastrophe for the spread of His gospel and the eternal salvation of many.