This training is for South Carolina Baptist Disaster Relief volunteers interested in serving as a chaplain. You will learn to provide emotional and spiritual support to people in crisis. You do not have to be a professional minister to serve in this role, and both men and women are needed as chaplains. The class is limited to 25 people and prerequisites apply - see below.
Date: Oct. 9-10, 2020
Location: SC Baptist Convention Building, 190 Stoneridge Drive, Columbia, SC
Time: 1:00 p.m. Friday - 4:00 p.m. Saturday. For detailed schedule, click HERE.
Cost: $60 (includes registration fee, materials, snacks and two meals - lodging is on your own at local hotels)
Capacity: 25 people. Social distancing will be followed with spaced-apart seating. Masks are required while entering, then can be removed when everyone is seated.
Registration: Online registration is now open - Click HERE. For registration assistance, call Debbie Royson at 803-227-6041.
Prerequisites: the following must be completed prior to registering for the 12-hr Chaplain Training. The prerequisite classes are offered at each of the general Disaster Relief trainings each year.
- Introduction to Disaster Relief class
- Introduction to Chaplaincy class
- OSFA (Operational Stress First Aid) or Operational Stress Management
- At least one ministry area class such as chainsaw or mud-out
- Deployment with any type of unit (chainsaw, mud-out, etc.) other than chaplains - this will be explained further in the Intro to Chaplaincy class.
- The trainer requests that all attendees read the DR Chaplains Training Manual prior to the training. Click HERE to read the manual online. You do not need to print out the manual - a printed copy in a binder will be given to you at the training.
Course Description: This course follows the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Chaplain training manual, equipping volunteers to help disaster survivors begin to move toward recovery through listening ears, compassionate hearts, and encouraging words given in Jesus' name. Focus is also given to providing care for the volunteers who serve in disaster deployments.
Trainer Bio: Rev. Phil Bryson is pastor of Beaverdam Baptist Church in Mountville, SC (Laurens County). He has years of experience as a Chaplain and a Unit Leader for SC Baptist Disaster Relief (SCBDR). He also serves on the SCBDR State Leadership Team as the Chaplain Coordinator. Phil has completed Baptist DR chaplaincy courses as well as Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) courses in chaplaincy and ministering to people in crisis.