What is FINISH?
As SC Baptists, we desire to make Christ’s last command our first concern. One way we do this is through out FINISH Initiative.
Jesus’ last command to His followers was to go into all the world and make disciples of all ethnic groups. There are thousands of ethnic groups in the world and through the special moment God has created with global migration, we can reach many ethnic groups right in South Carolina. In fact, census data tells us there are more than 280,000 foreign born in our state many of whom come from unreached people groups and many from restricted access countries.
The South Carolina Baptist Convention started the FINISH initiative to encourage and serve our churches in helping find, engage, serve, and share the hope we have in Christ with these diverse groups whether refugees, immigrants, businesspeople, or students.
So far, our FINISH initiative has been involved in ministries that have helped churches engage ethnic peoples. some examples are:
- Summer interns have helped us visit ethnic restaurants and markets around the state and have provided points of encounter and engagement in the metro areas of South Carolina.
- SCBC SEND team staff have cast vision to pastors for this ministry at Association and Pastors’ gatherings.
- SCBC SEND team staff have done training for pastors and leaders related to reaching ethnic people.
- Churches have begun ESL classes, after school programs, assisted with refugee resettlement, served international students through our BCM’s by adopting international families.
- Several churches and associations have formed partnerships that have led to numerous ethnic church plants around SC. Existing ethnic churches were trained in simple and reproducible discipleship tools to assist them in reaching their own ethnic communities.
As SC Baptists, we desire to make Christ’s last command our first concern. One way we do this is through our FINISH initiative. Please let us know how we can serve you or your church to reach the unreached people groups in your area. Through the generosity of our SC Baptist churches giving to the Cooperative Program and Janie Chapman offering, we can provide strategic help in reaching the nations right here in SC. We know that Jesus Christ is building His Church, and nothing can stop it. We also know that He allows us the privilege to be a part of His Kingdom work. We don’t HAVE to do it. We GET to do it! Please feel free to contact us so we can come alongside you and your church to help do our part to finish the task of the Great Commission in our generation. The world is waiting.