Coats for the City
Coats for the City shares the love of Jesus by providing warm coats and the gospel to residents of NYC each December. SCBaptists, North Carolina Baptists, and the Metropolitan New York Baptist Association partner together to be the hands and feet of Jesus by collecting thousands of coats throughout the year and then distribute them at various locations across New York City on December 2, 2023.
This year we have a goal of collecting 10,000 coats and sending 40 churches to NYC to help with distribution. There are four ways you and your church can partner with this project: volunteer, become a host church, collect coats and pray.
How can you help?
Register a team from your church to help distribute coats in New York City. Teams will be accepted on a first come first serve basis, with a size preference of 6-8 people maximum. If more than 8 people want to participate, please plan on dividing the team and registering them as two separate teams.
Volunteer teams are responsible for their own transportation and housing costs. We ask that all volunteer teams try to collect 30 coats per team member, if possible.
Become a NYC Host Church
Register your church to host a distribution location in New York City. Once registered, we help partner you with a NC/SC volunteer team. This is a great opportunity to have extra hands and feet as you reach the people in your neighborhoods.
Use the teams for prayer walking, spreading the word prior to the distribution and on the day of distribution. They are there to help you!
What kind of coats do we need?
Help us by collecting coats! We have a goal of 10,000 coats for 2023.
- Men’s, women’s and children’s coats
- New or gently used heavy coats that can withstand a New York City winter
- Lighter-weight coats used for layering
- No holes, tears or stains
- Zippers should work and all buttons should be present
- Consider applying for a grant through your local Walmart in order to purchase new or gently used coats, appropriate for an NYC winter.
- Consider applying for a grant through your local Walmart in order to purchase new or gently used coats, appropriate for an NYC winter. You can access information regarding Walmart community grants by clicking here.
What do we do with the coats once we collect them?
Once you have collected coats, schedule a time to drop them off at the South Carolina Baptist Convention. Please check back for more locations as we move further along in the year.
Important Dates to Remember
Sept. 1 – Deadline for team registration
Nov. 6-7 – Final coat collection at BSCNC Annual Meeting
Dec. 2 – Coat distribution in New York City
Have questions? Click here to visit the FAQ page.