Bylaws Description of Financial Assistant/Financial Secretary
The Financial Assistant/Financial Secretary is accountable to the Congregation, Church Treasurer and the Finance Committee to receive and record funds that come into the church treasury.
Policy and Procedures Description of Financial Assistant/Financial Secretary
Service Title: Financial Assistant/Financial Secretary
Ministry Purpose: The Financial Assistant/Financial Secretary position primarily receives the funds that come into the church treasury, records the funds, deposits the funds and forwards information about the deposit to the Church Treasurer.
Serving Relationship: The Financial Assistant/Financial Secretary is responsible to the Treasurer and Finance Committee. His/her main supervisor is the Pastor or Church Business Administrator.
- To work according to the guidelines and policies and procedures proposed by the Congregation and Church Bylaws.
- To receive funds from whatever source, providing permanent receipt in a numeric receipt pad, record them, and report them to the Church Treasurer, the church and its leadership (Finance Committee) as provided in the church policies.
- To collect offerings received during worship services at the conclusion of the program/event, making certain that more than one person is involved in collecting and counting the money.
- To ensure money is deposited in a bank as soon as possible after it is received. All deposits should be made within three (3) days of receipt.
- To establish a procedure to collect and record money received through methods other than regular offering, including money received through the mail.
- To produce individual charitable-gift receipts summaries of all donations received during a calendar year and mail within the first two weeks of January each year.
- To be accountable to the congregation through its designated committees/teams, elected officers and paid staff leadership.
- To disburse all money contributed to the local church budget, keeping accurate records of how money is spent within the approved church budget.
Exclusion: This position does not include reconciling financial statements (see Option A).
Option A: Reconciliation Secretary (Volunteer Position)
- Reconciliation Secretary is a separate role and is church approved.
- This person many not be the Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, Financial
- Assistant/Financial Secretary or a member of the immediate family of any of these.
- Reconciliation of bank financial statements should take place at the church and records remain at the church.
- A Reconciliation Report is provided to the Treasurer, Chairman of Finance Committee and Pastor/Business Administrator.
Complies with internal controls set in the Financial Policies and Procedures adopted by the Congregation.
Disclaimer: All job descriptions/service descriptions are intended as a guide and may or may not fit the vision, purpose and practice of every church.