History Panel Discussion – Reflections on Missions and Education
Reflections on Missions and Education
in SC Baptist History
Sunday, October 8, 2017
First Baptist Church Columbia – Ellis Hall
1306 Hampton Street
4:00 – 5:45 p.m.
SCBC History Committee
Charleston Southern University
A panel of SC Baptist pastors and historians will gather to discuss SC Baptists’ past efforts to advance God’s kingdom through missions and education.
Moderator for the panel discussion, Dr. Michael Bryant, Executive Vice President at Charleston Southern University, explains its purpose. “The panel will explore key leaders and events that have shaped SC Baptists’ missionary and educational efforts since the state convention’s founding at First Baptist Columbia in December 1821. South Carolina Baptists will soon commemorate their 200th anniversary (1821-2021). The panelists will show that believers today have much to learn from the successes and failures of SC Baptists in the past. My hope is that all who attend will gain practical insights for serving God more faithfully in the present.”
Other Panel Participants:
- Dr. Peter Beck – Professor of Christian Studies, CSU
- Dr. B. Carlisle Driggers – Former SCBC Executive Director-Treasurer
- Dr. Rudy Gray – Editor of The Courier and former SCBC President
- Dr. Mike Hamlet – Pastor of First Baptist North Spartanburg and former SCBC President
- Josh Powell – Pastor of Lake Murray Baptist Church and author of the new SC Baptist history
There is no charge, and all are welcome to attend. If you are unable to attend, you may watch the discussion via Facebook Live. Click here to connect with our Facebook page. You can submit questions for the panel via Facebook messaging.