Coats for the City
Coats for the City shares the love of Jesus by providing warm clothing and the gospel to residents of New York City each December. South Carolina Baptists began partnering with North Carolina Baptists and the Metropolitan New York Baptist Association (MNYBA) in this effort in 2021. Working with churches across New York City, we desire to distribute coats, hats, gloves and scarves along with a Bible or Jesus film in the language of every recipient.
How can my church help?
Pray for the project and collect winter accessories to be distributed. You can also make donations towards the Bibles or films being distributed. If your church is able, you can send a group to distribute winter clothing in New York City.
What kind of winter accessories do we need to collect?
South Carolina is focusing on collecting gently used hats, gloves, and scarves that can withstand a New York City winter.
- Please make sure there are no holes, tears, or stains in the items.
- Be sure you have both left and right hand gloves.
- Separate mens, womens, and childrens items into separate contractor bags and label accordingly.
- Consider applying for a grant through your local Walmart in order to purchase new or gently used gloves, hats and scarves.
How can my church send a team?
Teams will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis, with space for 15-20 churches. Smaller teams of six to eight people are best. Volunteer teams are responsible for their own transportation and housing costs.
Where can my team stay?
- Metropolitan New York Baptist Association has room for 40 volunteers
- New York School of Urban Ministry also has space for volunteers