Church Bylaws - Part B: Church Bylaws Should Cover…
- Qualification, selection and discipline of members.
- Time and Place of Regular Business meetings.
- Calling process of Special Business meetings.
- Notification procedures for Regular and Special Business meetings.
- Quorum or Variation of Quorum requirements.
- Voting rights and styles of the members
- Selection, Tenure and Removal of officers/staff and workers.
- Filling of vacancies/ unexpired terms for officers/staff and workers.
- Responsibilities/Job Functions of officers, workers and committees.
- Methods for Amending Bylaws/Policies/Procedures.
- Purchase and Conveyance Procedures of Property.
- Adoption of a Parliamentary Procedure.
- How to handle disputes between members/staff.
- Specifications about handling contracts by Trustees.
- Signature authority on checks and legal documents.
- Bonding of officers and employees.
- Procedures of Internal/External Audit annually.
- Indemnification Clause.
- Specification of the church fiscal year and calendar year.
- Rotation of Agents/Trustees
- Keep the Bylaws concise, simple and specific enough to convey the rule.
- Avoid repetition of information; refer back/forward by Article and Section.
- Avoid including detailed policies, job descriptions, specific dates, or locations.
- Footnote each page with the date of amendment.
- Keep the congregation informed and involved throughout the process.
- Adopt the document by a church wide vote.
- Publish the document and make it available to the entire church family.
Church Bylaws - Part A