BCM Students Serve in Hurricane Response & RebuildSC
Groups of students from Baptist Collegiate Ministries on various campuses in South Carolina spent part of their 2016 Christmas break serving people affected by disasters. Because the Pee Dee area received damage from Hurricane Matthew in addition to the damage from the 2015 flood, the work of the students included hurricane response as well as RebuildSC.
Here is a listing of what the students accomplished:
- Took roof off and replaced with metal roof for single mom with 2 children.
- Complete mud out for two homes (both owned by older couples with no insurance)
- Nichols Baptist Church – tore out water soaked floors and dry wall, dry wall mud/sanding, painting, organized donated items for Saturday giveaway outreach
- Replaced tiles in ceiling for 87 year old woman in her kitchen and painted ceiling
- Replaced floor, drywall in home where recent volunteers had repaired roof
- Replaced drywall in celiling of home with new roof
- Tore down shed damaged by falling tree for 92 year old widow, member of Nebo Baptist Church
- Wiped walls, pulled up carpet and cleaned/prepped Piney Grove Baptist Church (damaged by flood)
- Tree removal at 2 locations
- Encouraged Johhsonville First Baptist Church for their role in Disaster Relief projects and new DR food team workers.
- Tree Removal: 5 at College Park Baptist Church, one at a Florence home (member Ebenezer Baptist in Florence)
- Placed tarps on 6 homes
- Paint/Sanded/Sheetrock at Nichols Baptist Church
- Prayer Canvas and light homeowner assistance in Nichols
- Mud-Out – at least 5 jobs
- Repaired a metal roof and a deck
- 1 ceiling repair in Gallivants Ferry, 2 Floor Repairs on Habitat For Humanity homes in Nichols